Find out what happens to your body when you consume amla juice every day
The Indian gooseberry popularly known as amla is a powerhouse of nutrients. It is packed with antioxidants and is rich in vitamin C that offers several health benefits. These greenish-yellow berries are sour with a sweet aftertaste that boosts the immune system. Amla is also known to improve the texture, colour, thickness of hair and nails.
Here are some amazing health benefits of alma – the Indian gooseberry
– Boosts immune system
The powerhouse of vitamin C improves the body’s defence mechanism. It flushes out toxins, allergies and infections. It is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin A, flavonoids and alkaloids that help shield the body against inflammation and bacteria.
– Improves liver function
Study shows that amla contains the property to improve liver function. Since the super fruit is rich in antioxidants, it also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in the wear and tear of liver function.
– Good for gut health
According to Ayurveda starting your day with amla juice can help detoxify and flush out waste from your system. Since the berries are rich in fibre it regulates bowel movement as it increases digestive juices. However, too much consumption of amla in any form can cause constipation. It is important to be mindful while incorporating this superfruit into your diet.
– Regulates blood sugar levels
For people who suffer from type 2 diabetes, amla juice is a boon as it helps regulate blood sugar levels. Studies have shown that amla improves liver function and promotes insulin levels. However, too much consumption of amla can cause certain side effects. Therefore, just a spoonful should be incorporated into the diet.
– Promotes brain health and memory
Ageing can cause cognitive decline and to keep your brain sharp and agile amla juice can be beneficial. The antioxidants and phytonutrients help fight against free radicals – that can cause damage to your brain cells. Amla produces norepinephrine – a neurotransmitter that improves brain function. It may also reduce the risk of brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
– Rejuvenates skin
Amla juice is known to improve skin conditions. The natural properties of amla rejuvenate skin and bring brightness to your skin. It is known to have anti-ageing properties that may also reduce skin pigmentation. The juice can be applied directly to the pigmented area of the skin. Doing so on regular basis can lighten the pigmentation.
Ways to consume amla juice
Since raw amla juice is potent one can mix it in various ways to consume it. However, if you choose to have it raw then just a spoonful of juice a day should suffice.
– Amla juice with water – A spoonful of raw amla juice mixed with water is a great way to start your day.
– Amla in your green juice – Green juice has been on a health trend for some time now. Green juice usually consists of green vegetables such as spinach, cucumber, celery, mint, basil… you can add a spoonful of amla juice to it for that extra kick of vitamin C. Keep in mind that green juice must be consumed right when it is made. Storing it for hours loses its nutritional value.
– Amla and aloe vera juice – Aloe vera juice has great health benefits and can be combined with amla. To prepare this juice scoop out the pulp of aloe vera add it to the blender with water and a spoonful of amla juice. You can also add a little honey for some sweetness.
While consuming amla juice every day has its benefits one must be mindful of it. Too much consumption of amla juice can have side effects such as constipation, drying out of the scalp – that may lead to itchiness, and even worsen cold and flu. Hence to avoid any kind of side effects and reap the benefits having just a spoonful of this juice is recommended.