The liver is a powerhouse organ, it is essential to keep it healthy and happy
The liver is the largest organ of our body. When your liver is in good shape it will improve all the metabolic processes in the body. The liver converts the nutrients in our diets into substances that the body can use. It stores these substances and supplies it to the blood cells when needed. It also breaks down toxins like alcohol, potent medicines and converts them into harmless natural by-products or flushes them out.
The liver is a power house organ, it not only performs essential task of turning nutrients into energy, it also breaks down old and damaged blood cells.
Hence it becomes important to take good care of the liver to live a long happy life. Liver diseases such as Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), liver cancer, alcoholic liver disease, hepatitis A, B and C, haemochromatosis, and chronic cholestatic liver diseases can be prevented with these simple ways.
Here are eight ways that are simple and effective to keep your liver happy and healthy:
1. Coffee –Studies show that drinking coffee reduces the risk of developing liver disease, cancer and fatty liver. Coffee increases antioxidant levels in the liver and decreases inflammation.
2. Drink plenty of water – When you drink enough water it makes your liver function in full capacity to flush out toxins and harmful build up in your liver. So, proper hydration makes your liver happy.
3. Limit Alcohol – Excess alcohol consumption can cause severe damage to your liver. It destroys the cells and causes dehydration. However, according to the Mayo Clinic moderate alcohol consumption isn’t risk-free either. For some people even light drinking can cause an adverse effect in their body. It is therefore recommended to consult your physician about alcohol consumption.
4. Minimise toxin intake –There’s an array of toxins found in cleaning products, insecticides, aerosols and additives in cigarettes that cause harm to your liver. Avoid touching these as much as possible, always wear a mask and ventilate the room when handling them. Not smoking is the best habit that you can stop to improve your liver function.
5. Good eating habits– A healthy well-balanced diet is all that you need. It is best to avoid high-calorie rich food, refined sugar, soft drinks instead fill your diet with fibre, protein, greens, vegetables and wholegrain. Healthy fats found in nuts, seeds and vegetable oils are also part of a well-rounded and healthy diet.
6. Wash your hands – Washing your hands is important when it comes to preparing or eating foods. Hands carry a lot of germs that could lead to uncalled infections. Use soap and water to wash your hands before you get your hands-on food products.
7. Exercise regular –A minimum of 15-30 minutes workout is essential for your overall wellbeing. When you exercise regularly you burn triglycerides – (a type of fat found in your blood also known as lipid) and you reduce the risk of fatty liver disease.
8. Keep your weight in check –If you weigh a little extra, the chances of your liver being fatty is higher. Having a fatty liver can make your powerhouse organ vulnerable to chronic diseases. Therefore, is it important to keep an eye on those extra kilos.
Our liver is a vital organ that needs utmost care. When you take good care by making some lifestyle changes, following a health regime, and eating right your liver will function at its optimal level. This way you can enjoy your occasional indulgence of your favourite foods and enjoy good health.