Let’s dive back into some scrumptious salads now that the heat is upon us!
Salad season has officially arrived. And they are not as tedious to eat and boring to conceive of as most people believe.
Salads can be fun, creative, quirky and a delicious nutritious meal by itself – seriously!
Today let’s put together a springtime salad, (when we can still pile on the nuts before it becomes too hot to digest that as well!). This salad also includes some fruity fun, but if you don’t care for fruit in your salad then just try one fruit option – you will enjoy it.
Always remember with salads- add ingredients you like and then you will enjoy each bite.
- 1 head romaine, torn (you can substitute the romaine or lolo for any green leaves- baby spinach, arugula, kale, salad ka patta etc.)
- 1 head lolo, torn
- Seasonal oranges peeled from skin
- ½ an apple (red or green) sliced finely
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted, sliced
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted, broken
- 1 tbsp. Feta or goat’s cheese crumbled
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup oil (extra virgin or cold pressed olive oil)
- 1 tbsp sugar or 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon and orange zest
- Salt and pepper
In a large bowl, gently toss the lettuce, orange bits, apples, walnuts, and almonds.
In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients very well. Taste and tweak accordingly, (it should be tangy and slightly sweet).
Drizzle over salad and toss well to coat just before serving.
Sprinkle the crumbled feta or goat’s cheese if using.
Pair your salad with a glass of semi – fruity white wine or a fresh juice or smoothie of your choice, and a nice grilled protein along with it. Delish!