Juice extracted from whole carrots is highly nutritious and improves health in more than eight ways
Begin your day with a glass of carrot juice and reap its invaluable health benefits.
Carrots are grown year-round but the best time to enjoy sweet and nutritious carrots are during winter and spring. Carrots come in different colours such as red, orange, purple, yellow and can be consumed raw and cooked. They are a powerhouse of potassium, Vitamin A, and C. They are low in calories and carbs, packed with antioxidant properties, among other health benefits.
Here are seven benefits of drinking carrot juice everyday:
1. Good for skin maintenance – Carrots contain carotenoid pigments, that act as antioxidants. It also contains large amounts of Vitamin A that helps to protect skin from drying and skin conditions like psoriasis. It also helps heal scars and blemishes.
2. Good for digestion – A glass of carrot juice improves bowel movement due to its probiotic properties that keeps gut bacteria free. Drinking carrot juice daily will help maintain good digestive health. It also prevents constipation.
3. Boosts immune system – Carrot is a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals that not only protects your body from radical damage but also strengthens immunity. Vitamin A, C, K, B6 and phosphorus will help protect your system against various viruses and bacteria.
4. Helps control blood sugar – Drinking carrot juice helps regulate blood sugar levels. Since it is low in calories and sugar content, it also has a low glycaemic index (GI) that helps improve blood sugar management. Drinking carrot juice is recommended for people suffering from type 2 diabetes, but in moderate quantity.
5. Good for cardiovascular health – Potassium content in carrot juice helps lower bad cholesterol levels. It protects against stroke and helps regulate blood pressure levels.
6. Protects your liver – Carotenoid content in carrot juice promotes liver health. It also flushes toxins from the body. The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties protect against fatty liver disease.
7. Good for weight loss – Regular intake of carrot juice boosts metabolism and detoxifies the body. Carrots have low calories and fibre content; one glass of carrot juice will keep you satiated for a long time and help avoid food cravings.
While carrot juice is perfectly safe for most people, there are a few precautions to keep in mind. People with compromised immune system should avoid unpasteurized carrot juice.
Finally, carrot juice has less fibre than whole carrots and contains natural sugars, lower fibre content means that its sugars are absorbed more quickly. So, drinking too much may spike your blood sugar levels. Since it contains natural sugars, you may want to drink it in moderation.