Have you ever thought what would happen if you replaced all drinks with water?
You must have been hearing a lot about the negative side effects of sugary drinks, how they can spike the blood glucose levels. But have you ever heard of any negative side effects of drinking water? That’s because drinking water is great for your mind and body. It has many known benefits that improves kidney function, joint mobility, hydration and improved cognitive functioning.
Here are nine health benefits of water for your mind and body:
1. Improved metabolism – Drinking warm water helps lose weight faster. Since it has no calories unlike sugary drinks, alcohol and juices when you replace these beverages with water it helps digest food better and faster. Also studies show that drinking two glasses of water before meals will make you feel fuller and reduce your calorie intake.
2. Improved concentration – Dehydration can cause brain fatigue and poor memory, depression and brain fog. Since the brain composites of 80 per cent of water it becomes essential to cut down on sugary beverages that contribute to dehydration. Instead replace them with water and reap the benefits of sharper memory and better brain functioning.
3. Flushes toxins – Over consumption of sugar and refined foods and drink, lead to accumulated metabolic waste in the body. This waste can cause kidney damage, and will slow down the removal of waste. Drinking water extracts the accumulated waste and as a result flushes down all the toxins present in the body.
4. Improves blood circulation – Artificial sweeteners disrupts the healthy function of the blood vessels. As a result, it hampers blood flow to vital organs and causes high blood pressure and increases your heart rate. While drinking water improves blood circulation and boosts healthy function of the blood vessels.
5. Lower disease risk – Diabetes, obesity, kidney stones, cardiovascular diseases, drinking water helps improve all these health conditions. It also helps prevent muscle cramps, constipation, headaches and improves nutrient absorption.
6. Good for gut heath – Soft drinks are acidic in nature, drinking too much of it can causes pH imbalance which can lead to bloating, stomach ulcers, gas and indigestion. Drinking water regulates bowel movements and balances pH levels in the body preventing abdomen disorders.
7. Good for hair and skin – Sugary foods and drinks cause premature ageing by damaging collagen in your skin. Water helps replenish your skin by making it look plump, hydrated and increases cell production to flush away toxins from the skin. Aerated drinks not only inhibit absorption of essential nutrients but it also strains production of essential hormones. This causes hair to become brittle and dehydrates your scalp causing dandruff. Drinking water on the other hand is the solution to keep your scalp hydrated and improves absorption of essential nutrients.
8. Good for muscle – Water makes up a large portion of your muscle composition. Drinking water improves muscle endurance and helps you become more flexible. Water also gets rid of all the toxins and calcium build up, helps improve nutrient absorption and maintains strong bones.
9. Mood enhancer – Did you know drinking water improves your energy levels and enhances your mood? Water keep your body well hydrated and improves brain function which results in active and happy mind. On the other hand, a diet high in sugar, may give you an adrenalin rush but it will leave you feeling lethargic and fatigue as it causes dehydration.
If drinking plain water is not something you enjoy then you can experiment with berries, lemons, mint leaves and cucumber and more herbs, fruit, and flowers to flavour the water. Water will help improve your health in many ways up your intake and experience the difference.
Disclaimer – This is a general article and does not a contain health advice. For health advice consult your general physician.