Just enough of sunlight can provide you with many surprising health benefits
Going for a morning walk, basking in the sun, sipping warm water as you watch the sunrise, or just meditating under the rays of the morning sun, sets the tone of your day. Your energy levels get elevated and your mood gets as bright as the sun.
Sun is the best source of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is an essential nutrient for us. Just remember to apply a bit of sunscreen if you are in the sun during the peak hours (between 10am – 4 pm).
Sunlight will certainly provide you with many surprising health benefits
Here are six health benefits of sunshine
1. Longevity – The best way to maintain vitamins is to get some sunshine daily. A recent study found that women with more sun exposure tend to be more active, eat well and smoke less – leading a much active healthy life. Another discovery was made by researchers from University of Graz Austria, they conducted a study on thousands of heart patients and found a connection between earlier deaths and Vitamin D content in the body. A dose of sunshine will certainly help you live a long happy life.
2. Improves appetite – Vitamin D helps regulate your appetite and keeps it under control. Lower levels of Vitamin D may cause obesity problems. However, if you go out in the morning sun you will build a better appetite and eat healthily. When you eat right and well your metabolic levels improve which will keep your weight in check.
3. Sunshine kills bacteria – The ultraviolet rays from the sun during the day is quite strong. The heat coming off the sun works as a natural disinfectant. It kills all the indoor germs and bacteria. It also improves the air quality of your home. Open your windows to let the sunlight into you home!
4. Prevents certain health conditions – Sunlight helps our bodies produce Vitamin D, which in turn helps prevent certain forms of cancer. Vitamin D deficiency can result in dementia, tooth decay, a compromised immune system, and osteoporosis. The best way to get more Vitamin D is to get some direct morning sunlight as much as you can. It also regulates blood pressure.
5. Natural anti-depressant – When sunlight hits the retina in the eye it produces Serotonin – also known as the feel-good or the happy hormone, in the brain. Serotonin production in the brain will prevent depression. This hormone gives you a wonderful positive feeling and help you focus on the good. It is well known that most antidepressants work by artificially stimulating serotonin production, hence sunshine can work as a natural anti-depressant.
6. Quality of sleep – Sunlight helps maintain the circadian rhythm – it is a natural internal process of sleep-wake cycle. It is mostly controlled by light and darkness in the middle part of the brain. When the sunshine the receptors in the eyes regulate the circadian rhythm, this helps with the production of melatonin – the sleep hormone that is produced at night. Melatonin is produced in higher levels if your body experiences more sunlight during the day.
Morning sunlight has many health benefits that will help you live a healthier, longer and active life. Getting out in the sun will not only boost your energy levels and uplift your mood, but also strengthen your bones, help you sleep better, repair your skin, help maintain your weight, improve Vitamin D levels, and reduce stress. Try to spend at least 10-15 mins in the morning sun for better health and well-being.