Snacking affects your appetite and choosing healthy snacks that are high in protein and fibre will keep you full and may reduce the amount of food you eat at the next meal.
Being stuck at home in the lockdown can make you snack frequently even if you are not hungry. While snacking means having a morsel of food or beverage between regular meals. It is good to snack when you feel hunger but most of the time you tend to snack out of boredom. Do not give into temptations of snacking throughout the day instead savour your meals. “Snack food” such as chips and cookies are high-calorie, processed and sodium packed – stay away from them
Here is how you can make snacking healthy.
- Why it is essential to be mindful about eating in the lockdown?
Being stuck at home in the lockdown can lead to boredom and overeating. Hence it is important to follow a schedule and eat your meals at the same time every day. This will help you prevent consuming more food than required.
- How much should one snack?
200 calories with at least 10 g of protein will keep you full until your next meal. Opt for healthy snacking over junk, junk food will only make you feel lethargic and lower your energy levels. Whereas healthy snacks will keep your energy levels up and you day will be more productive.
- How often should you snack?
Snacking depends on factors such as daily activity and the size of meal. In the given circumstance of being locked down, a snack during the day would suffice. Make sure you have a proper well-balanced meal so that you don’t feel the urge to snack frequently.
- Should you keep snacks handy?
Hunger can strike anytime if you are active getting things done. So, a good practice would be to store your snacks in a small container so that you refrain from over-indulging.
- What kind of snacks to avoid?
Processed, high-calorie, sodium packed munchies that may deceive you into feeling full. In fact, these snacks will make you feel hungry in short intervals resulting in overeating.
Here are 10 healthy snacks under 200 calories you must try:
- A spoonful of peanut butter with half an apple – A good combination of fibre and protein that will keep you full until your next meal.
2. Popcorn! – Whole grains are a good source of fibre and hence popcorn is a good option. It has few calories and will make you feel full. The best part you can have a lot of it.
3. A quarter cup of hummus with some carrot sticks – A healthy filling snack. Hummus is a good source of protein while carrots are fibrous.
4. A Quarter cup of mixed nuts – Almonds, pistachio, cashews… Nuts are high in calories but a handful of nuts will provide you with the essentials nutrients that are good for your overall health.
5. Protein bar! –Store bought protein bars may have preservative and added sugar which may not be good for your body. Although there are some protein bars that have all the natural ingredients – opt for those. You can actually make some at home with oats, honey and some berries. Or the good ol’ chikki.
6. Two Eggs –The nutrition powerhouse, eggs. These can be made ahead of time by boiling them or you can get creative with it. Scramble them, poach them, or simply enjoy the hard-boiled ones.
7. A cup of yogurt with berries – Probiotic and antioxidant, this combination will make your gut happy and healthy. With a little sweetness from the berries and a little tartness from the yogurt, this makes a delicious desserty snack.
8. Coconut water and a quarter cup of boiled gram salad – While coconut will be refreshing and sweet on a summer day to keep yourself hydrated, boiled gram will provide you with protein.
9. Smoothies! – A thick creamy beverage made out of raw vegetables, fruits and some dairy products. Blend two bananas, ½ cup of yogurt, 2 teaspoons honey, a date and a pinch of cinnamon.Packed with calcium, iron, fibre and antioxidant. This will keep you full and satisfied the healthy way.
10. Mozzarella and tomato toast – A slice of bread with mozzarella cheese and some tomatoes. It is like enjoying a morsel of pizza. This snack will keep your energy up and you will feel satiated until your next meal.
Snack Healthy !!