The key is to embrace ageing and not fight it
Changes in our bodies as we age are inevitable. But it is possible to slow down the process of ageing with a lifestyle that helps age gracefully.
Here are the ten steps to slow down the process of ageing.
- You are what you eat – As you age it is essential to be aware of what you eat. Body needs to have a balanced diet comprising of complex carbohydrates, protein, good fat, fibre and probiotics. A happy gut is a happy body.
- Eight glasses of water – Drinking adequate water improves life expectancy. When you are dehydrated it affects the overall wellbeing. Dehydration makes your skin look dull and loses its moisture, you are unable to think clearly, you feel tired, getting rid of toxins become difficult, aggravates joint aches and pain. Hence keep yourself hydrated.
- 30 minutes of exercise – Regular exercise is crucial for physical and mental health. It boosts endorphins which provide you energy and gives you a healthy youthful glow. Physical exercise such as – morning walks, yoga, tai-chi not only aid in body stress levels but also it will ease the joint aches.
- Exercise your brain – Just like your body needs exercise to stay fit, your brain requires some form of exercise too. In your spare time you can pick up the newspaper to play sudoku, crossword puzzle or even download some puzzle games on your smartphone. Playing puzzle games improves your overall cognitive function.
- Beauty sleep – A good night’s sleep is a must. You need at least 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. Sleep repairs brain cells nourishes your skin, repairs muscle, regulates hormones and rejuvenates your heart. It is best to have a bedtime routine so that you wake up feeling well-rested and energized every day.
- Sunscreen is your BFF – Skin being the largest organ of the body needs to be protected all the time. Hence skincare is important, keep your shower short and warm. When stepping out always apply a generous amount of sunscreen to protect from pollution and direct sunlight.
- Mindset – Embrace aging rather than fighting it. Aging is inevitable but your mindset towards aging can make or break your perspective. Reprogram your vision of old age.
- Antioxidants – Antioxidants are the chemicals that fight a process in the body cell called oxidation. They ward off the damaged cells by removing waste in the cells. Though our body makes some antioxidants. However, the main source is plant-based food. Fruits, vegetables, grains, eggs and nuts are all useful sources of antioxidants.
- Surround yourself with good people – Step out of your house meets family and friends. It will help uplift your mood. Perhaps join a fun community or a club if you have time on your hands. And if at all you feeling lonely adopt or foster a pet. There are thousands of cats and dogs waiting for a friend like you.
10. Retirement is exploration time – Retirement is a gateway to a new life. You have the freedom to do everything you wanted to do when you were young. So make the most of it pick up that hobby, this is the time to start fresh.