Fungal nail infections if not treated well it can impact your day-to-day functioning to a great extent
Fungi is present in and on the body alongside various bacteria. The fungal infection develops over time and may display subtle symptoms that begins to overgrow causing an infection. Sometimes the infection can be very painful and affect your day-to-day functioning greatly.
The most common symptoms of fungal nail infection are discoloration of one or more toenails – the colour can differ from white, yellow and brown. When the infection begins to spread nails begin to thicken and sometime cracks.
Prescription oral antifungals are traditionally used to treat fungal nail infection. However, they may cause some serious side effects if not prescribed. On the other hand, home remedies have been effective in treating fungal nail infection.
Here are seven ways to treat fungal nail infection at home
1. Listerine – Listerine contains ingredients such as menthol, thymol, and eucalyptus, which have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Opt for Listerine original instead of the flavoured ones. Soak the affected area daily for 30 minutes.
2. Topical ointment Vicks VapoRub – A 2011 study found Vicks VapoRub had a “positive clinical effect” in treating fungal nail infection. The active ingredient – camphor and eucalyptus oil are effective in treating the infection. Apply a small amount once in a day.
3. Tea Tree Oil – An essential oil with antifungal and antiseptic abilities. Tea tree is good for skin and effectively get rid of fungus overgrowth. Apply tea tree oil directly onto the affected area with cotton twice a day.
4. Olive oil and sunflower oil – Olive oil and sunflower oil are ozonised oils. Studies show that ozone is effective against most microorganisms due to its high oxidant power. Low concentrations and short-term contact are sufficient to inactivate any bacteria and fungi. Apply any one of the oils in the affected area twice a day.
5. Raw Garlic – A study shows Garlic has some medicinal, antifungal and antimicrobial properties. This makes it an effective remedy in treating fungal infections. Crush or chop some garlic cloves and apply it to the affected area and let it set for 30 minutes daily. It can be smelly but it will be effective.
6. Diet – Your eating habits can be the cause of fungal overgrowth. Body needs food rich in probiotic, protein, iron, fatty acids, calcium and Vitamin D for healthy nails. So, the more healthy and clean food you consume the stronger your body will be to fight off any fungal infections.
Home remedies are safe and have fewer side-effects and may take longer to clear out the infection. However, if you don’t notice any difference and it begin to worry you, consult with a doctor. If you have health condition such as diabetes or have weakened immune system refrain from using home remedies.
Keep your toe nails dry, clean and well-trimmed all the time to prevent any kind of fungal infection.