Ginger and garlic have been used as both medicine and seasoning for more than five hundred years. SEPERATELY
But why is the combination of ginger and garlic so popular?
- Enter any Indian grocery store and you will see shelves of bottles of ginger garlic paste.
- Read any Indian recipe and it will ask for a combination of ginger and garlic.
- Open a refrigerator at an indian home and you will definitely find a bottle of ginger and garlic paste, whole ginger and garlic pods.
Did you know that apart from adding flavour to your food, they also act as natural healers and boost your health?
Separately, garlic and ginger are both famous for their health benefits but together they can take over the world. This lethal combination can take on inflammation and diseases head on. Here are some impressive benefits to back my argument —
- Anti-inflammatory benefits — The highlight of ginger and garlic is its anti-inflammatory benefits, so obviously it gets the first mention. Garlic and ginger contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that help inhibit proinflammatory proteins that cause chronic inflammation. Both garlic and ginger reduce markers of inflammation in humans. They also promote a healthy immune response. Garlic and ginger have commanding anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It’s a double whammy when combining these two, adding them to your diet is great for your immunity and overall health.
- Ginger and garlic protect against cellular damage — When our body’s system is overwhelmed, oxidative stress occurs which leads to cellular damage. Ginger and garlic are exceptional warriors against oxidative stress and protect against cellular damage.
- Packs a low-calorie health punch — Garlic and ginger are flavourful and tasty. A little bit goes a long way. It’s a delicious and low calorie option to spice up food, add some flavour along with a nutritional kick. They also aid in losing weight by flushing out harmful toxins thus increasing your metabolic rate. So, it’s true that both garlic and ginger can bring you closer to your weight-loss goals.
- Ginger and garlic benefit cognitive health — Adding ginger and garlic to your daily nutritional plan will help protect your brain and improve cognition. It improves memory, protects against cognitive impairment and degeneration. Ginger and garlic are vital for brain health.
- Reduced risk of heart disease — Research has shown that garlic and ginger have compelling heart-protective properties and even help decrease heart disease causing factors like high blood pressure, cholesterol issues or high blood sugar levels. Consuming ginger and garlic also reduces the buildup of plaque in the arteries.
- Ginger and garlic is beneficial for diabetics — The age old remedy of garlic and ginger reducing blood sugar levels is a myth not. Not only does it improve diabetic symptoms but it also reduces blood lipid levels.
- Ginger and garlic have potential anticancer properties — A ginger and garlic rich diet has shown to protect the body against some cancers. This is due to their concentration of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds that help protect against cellular damage. Garlic and ginger are known to put up a brave fight in the face of lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer and gastric cancer. Tumours have been known to decrease after being treated with garlic and ginger. Although these results are encouraging, ginger and garlic can’t replace cancer treatment. If you have cancer, don’t use garlic and ginger supplements unless your healthcare team approves them
- Ginger and garlic help prevent blood clots — We all know that ginger and garlic have medicinal properties, some of which aid in blood clotting and preventing blood clots.
- Ginger and garlic aid in sexual activity — Ginger and garlic enhance blood circulation. Eating ginger and garlic instantly benefits and improves male stimulation. These spices are known to be aphrodisiacs and significantly proven to enhance sexual desire, libido and stamina and did you know that these natural ingredients have the potential to help ease physical symptoms related to erectile dysfunction?
- Ginger and garlic relieve stomach issues — Indigestion or Diarrhoea is a rather annoying and painful problem to deal with. Well, worry no more, both garlic and ginger can help to overcome the symptoms of indigestion, diarrhoea and other stomach ailments like gas, stomach spasms and intestinal bacterial infections. Having ginger and garlic everyday, either in your food or as an herbal tea will help in your overall digestion. It helps in bowel movement and prevents any digestive issues like constipation, indigestion and nausea.
- Ginger and garlic are beneficial for respiratory health — Both ginger and garlic are fabulous flu fighters. They pride themselves on their natural, antibacterial characteristics and their ability to relieve congestion, cold symptoms and loosen phlegm. Both ginger and garlic are individually super saviours for respiration but a better solution is to mix these two spices and double the effect. Although this ginger and garlic tea is completely natural and should not have any side effects, it is best to consult your doctor before adding it to your daily diet, especially if you are on prescription medications.
Garlic and ginger tea — Garlic and ginger tea is a good treatment for reducing the symptoms of cold and flu, nausea, headaches and as an antibiotic.
You just need to mix two tablespoons of this concoction into a mug of boiling water. I’m sure some of you must be wincing at the thought of ginger and garlic tea, we have enjoyed ‘aadrak chai’ but let me tell you this combination of garlic and ginger as tea also, tastes delicious once you have overcome the initial mental block, especially with a dash of honey and lemon. Worth a try to acquire a taste for this powerhouse drink.
Lets end the story on Garlic and ginger as a combination with saying —
The power of ginger and garlic has been whispered about for decades but it’s time to scream it from the rooftops. The potential health benefits are enormous. This powerhouse duo should be a regular feature in your diet. Just like most things, it doesn’t deliver miracles but staying consistent will definitely give you the results you want in the long run.
Dont waste time pondering over it, just get your daily fix.