One can never get enough of mango desserts! They are all yummy – because their no-fail hero is mango – also adding other elements to a mango dessert, makes the whole aam affair even more enjoyable.
Here’s a no fussy mango pudding. It’s delicious and easy to put together. As with all recipes, use your creativity and add a variant if you wish. I used cake instead of bread, though the original recipe calls for bread. It was super delicious and added a richness to the palate.
Time taken to prepare: 45 mins (not counting chilling-in-the-fridge time)
4 Mangoes (your choice of variety) – 2 coarsely chopped; 2 finely chopped
1 cup evaporated milk or reduced milk
½ cup regular milk
1 tin condensed milk
Approx. 6 fresh bread slices or pound cake slices
200gms fresh or heavy cream
- Reduce 2 cups of regular milk to one cup on a slow gas, making sure it doesn’t get burnt.
- Add ¾ tin condensed milk to the finely chopped mango
- Blend the coarsely chopped mango with reduced milk and the remaining condensed milk into a purée
- Dip the bread/ cake slices in the bowl of pureed mango (to moisten and imbue the taste of the purée)
- Line a square of rectangular dish with the dipped slices
- Add the finely chopped mango
- Add another layer of puree dipped bread/ cake slices
- Again sprinkle the rest of the finely chopped mango mixture
- With a hand mixer whip the fresh or heavy cream – and add the remaining mango puree and condensed milk to it
- Layer the dessert with this cream mixture – it should be a runny consistency and you can use a fork or knife to make pattern / decoration
- Chill in the fridge for 3- 4 hours
- Decorate with broken cashews, before serving, if desired