Grandma’s Home Remedies to Fight Cough This Winter
The irritable sensations in the throat often start as a tickle and then escalate to a barfing cough sometimes disrupting your sleep. At that moment all one needs is instant relief from all the coughing. Here are the 10 ingredients and the remedies that will help you soothe your throat effectively.
- Honey – Honey has anti-bacterial properties and helps to coat the throat, alleviating irritation. It is known to have antioxidant, antimicrobial, and soothing effects. The slightly acidic pH level of honey is what helps prevent the growth of bacteria, while its antioxidant elements clean up free radicals that are linked to diseases.
Home remedy: To ease your scratchy throat, you may have several teaspoons of honey throughout the day or add a tablespoon in warm water. You can also make honey and ginger lozenge.
- Dark Chocolate – An ingredient known as theobromine in chocolate provides sweet relief from constant coughing.
Home remedy: Enjoy a small piece of dark chocolate to relief yourself from constant coughing.
- Mulethi aka Liquorice – People have used licorice for centuries for its medical benefits. It is recommended to treat respiratory problems. Consuming the required amount of licorice helps the body produce healthy mucus. The production of clean, healthy phlegm keeps the respiratory system functioning without old, sticky mucus clogging it.
Home remedy: Chew a small piece of mulethi. The juices from it will help you recover faster.
- Kadha aka Ayurvedic drink – An ancient practice that has been passed down through generations. This hot beverage is just what your throat needs.
Home remedy: Take ½ tsp of Sauf (Fennel seeds), ½ tsp of Ajwain (Bishop’s weed), ½ tsp Jeera (Cumin), a few Tulsi leaves (Holy basil). Add the ingredients in one-liter water and boil it for 15 mins. Cool it down and store it in a glass bottle and sip it through the day.
- Ginger – Ginger contains gingerol, a substance with medicinal properties and is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects. The anti-inflammatory compound in ginger relaxes the respiratory membranes in the airways, which prevents coughing. Ginger is versatile and can be used fresh, dried, powder, and as oil or juice.
Home remedy: Add some freshly sliced ginger in a pot of water and boil it. You can also add some honey and lemon if you like. Sipping hot ginger water will ease your cough.
- Black pepper – Black pepper is rich in a potent antioxidant called piperine, which may help prevent free radical damage to your cells and cause illness. However, pepper is best suited to relief from wet cough.
Home remedy: Take 5-7 seeds of black pepper and crush them. Add it to the boiling water along with some mishri (rock sugar). Sip on it while it’s warm.
- Cinnamon – The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help lower your risk of disease. It is loaded with medicinal properties.
Home remedy: Chew on a small cinnamon stick. Or you can make some homemade cough syrup – a cup of honey, 1 tbsp of cinnamon powder, squeeze half a lemon and ¼ cup of water. Combine them well and store them in a glass bottle. Take 1 or 2 tsp of this syrup before going to bed.
- Haldi aka Turmeric – Turmeric contains the chemical curcumin and has many scientifically proven health benefits.
Home remedy: The classic home remedy to relief from a cough that has been passed down for generations is Haldi doodh as known as turmeric latte. A cup of hot milk with turmeric and honey you may also add a pinch of salt to it. Drink it before going to bed.
- Salt-water Gargle – Gargling several times a day with warm salt water can reduce swelling in the throat and loosen mucus, helping to flush out irritants or bacteria.
Home remedy: Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in one cup of water. If the salty taste is too unpleasant for you, try adding a small amount of honey to sweeten the mixture slightly. (Just remember to spit the water out after gargling, rather than swallowing!)
- Amla aka Indian gooseberry – Amla is a potent source of iron, vitamin C and calcium. It possesses anti-viral properties and improves the immune response of the body.
Home remedy: A tablespoon of alma juice along with some freshly crushed ginger and some honey will be quite effective in curing sore throat and cough.
Do share with us your home remedy for cough in the comment box below.