The best way to avoid wrinkles from developing further is to protect your skin from sun – face, neck, forearms, and hands
Wrinkling of the skin is a natural ageing process. It happens due to lack of collagen – the vital protein that keeps our skin plump and smooth. Collagen begins to diminish slowly from our mid 20s and by the time we are in our 80s, our bodies have fourth of what we started out at birth. The best way to avoid wrinkles from developing further is to protect your skin from sun – face, neck, forearms and hands. However there are ways to improve the appearance of wrinkles.
- Aloe Vera gel – As skin begins to lose moisture it is essential to keep it hydrated as much as possible. Applying Aloe Vera gel will keep your skin hydrated and significantly reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
- Food with nutritional benefits – Informally known as ‘Superfoods’ or ‘wrinkle-busting foods’, are foods containing health benefitting nutrients and antioxidants proven to have positive effect on your skin. They appear to prevent wrinkles from developing and are also beneficial for overall health. You may include these key ingredients to your diet – avocados, chia seeds, oatmeal, tomatoes, ginger, walnuts, salmon, sardines, miso, egg whites and sweet potatoes.
- Vitamins A, C and E – Vitamins A, C and E are antioxidant that helps prevent wrinkles and promote a lovely, healthy glow. Eating food rich in vitamins will increase your body’s ability to produce the anti-wrinkle protein. It helps to create collagen in the skin.
- Essential Oils – Applying few drops of essential oil mixed with a carrier oil (coconut oil) on wrinkles help reduce them. Essential oil such as – argan, grapeseed, neroli, geranium, sandalwood, pomegranate and carrot seed. Before applying it directly on your wrinkles, do a patch test. Apply a small patch of the mixture (few drops of essential oil + coconut oil) on the inside of your wrist and wait for 24 hours. Avoid using if you experience any irritation, redness or stinging.
- Olive Oil – Consumption of olive oil will protect your skin from developing more wrinkles. Olive oil and its byproducts contain a compound that can increase the skin’s collagen level.
- Beauty Sleep – Sleep is essential for healthy skin and sleeping on silk pillowcases is a cherry on top. As silk pillowcases contain protein and enzymes which enhance the production of collagen and are hypoallergenic. Also, it is easy on the skin and can reduce fine lines.
- Facial yoga – A way to a natural facelift. Just like your body your face also requires exercise to stay toned and firm. Says Danielle Collins, the world-leading Face Yoga expert: “The 57 muscles in the face and neck need to be exercised. As they become stronger they are lifted and firmed and the skin attached to the muscles is tautened, reducing lines and wrinkles”. She recommends a routine followed by a glass of water to hydrate the skin and help flush the toxins.
Here are three exercises that you can try at home:
- The ‘V’: to reduce lines and wrinkles around eyes
Put both middle fingers together between your eyebrows then apply pressure to the outer corners of eyes with index fingers. Look up and start to move the lower eyelids upwards. Relax and repeat six more times. To finish, squeeze eyes shut for 10 seconds then relax.
- Smile Smoother: to reduce lines around mouth; to lift and firm cheeks and jaw
Hide your teeth with your lips and make an ”O’’ with your mouth. Then, smile as widely as you can and keep hiding your teeth. Repeat six times. Next, hold the smile shape and place one index finger on your chin. Then start to move your jaw up and down as you tilt your head back. Relax and repeat twice more.
- Giraffe: to tone and lift the neck
Looking straight ahead, place finger tips on the top of neck and pull the skin down as you tilt head back. Bring head back down and repeat twice. Then jut lower lip out as far as possible, place fingers on collarbone and point chin upwards, pulling the corners of your mouth down. Hold for four deep breaths.