Drinking lemon water on a daily basis is good for you and it takes only a week to see the difference
Hydration is essential for overall health but when you add lemon to your water it becomes more palatable and subtly increases your water intake. Not only lemon is a healthy fruit, it is also versatile in nature. It is a nutrient powerhouse of Vitamin C, soluble fibre and potassium.
Drinking a glass of warm water with lemon in the morning will kickstart your day right. Vitamin C, fibre and potassium at the start of the day will get your system prepared and keep you active through the day.
Here are eight health benefits of drinking lemon water everyday
1. Mood enhancer – Lemon oil is a common ingredient in aromatherapy oils. This is because the citrusy smell helps keep calm and reduces stress. You will experience the same stress relief by drinking lemon with water. Due to the potassium content in lemons it helps regulate blood pressure and has a soothing effect on your mood.
2. Improves Digestion – Lemons contain soluble fibre that improves gut health. Drinking lemon water with its pulp will helps stimulate healthy digestion, it reduces acid reflux, and relieves from constipation problems. Citric acid in lemon helps break down food more efficiently making it easier to absorb as much nutrients from every meal. It also helps maintain sugar levels.
3. Skin Hydration – Lemon water boosts Vitamin C intake and it also helps expel toxins from your body. It leaves your skin hydrated, and smoother, reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Vitamin C is a powerhouse nutrient that plays a key role in the production of collagen and elastin, the elements in skin that keep it strong yet flexible.
4. No more bad breaths – Lemon’s citrusy smell can neutralise any kind of odour, whether that is your countertops or bad breath. It stimulates saliva production and this itself cleanses the mouth while the bad breath is taken care by the citrusy smell. Drinking lemon water after a meal wipes out the lingering odour of the foods you consumed.
5. Prevents kidney stones – Kidney stones are calcium deposits and by adding lemon water to your diet you reduce the risk of forming one. Citric acid in lemon boosts urine volume and increases urine pH levels, this prevents formation of kidney stones and can also help pass existing kidney stones
6. Protects against UTIs – Drinking lemon water daily helps maintain an alkaline pH level in the urinary tract. Though lemons are acidic in their whole form, citric acid produces alkalising byproducts after digestion. However, it is essential to understand that lemon does not alkalise your whole system.
7. Improves bone health – The minerals in lemon is vital for bone health. These minerals help neutralise certain acids that disrupt calcium absorption. Potassium helps your body to absorb calcium strengthening your bones.
8. Good for brain health – Lemon juice keeps your brain healthy. Potassium content in lemon ensures your brain gets sufficient oxygen to function efficiently. It stimulates cognitive function and prevents strokes.
Drinking lemon water every day is a good habit for your health. Do you drink lemon water every day?