Sweet Potato Bebinca
A traditional Goan dessert popular during Christmas. It is a seven-layered pudding which can be stored for days and can be enjoyed for long.
Here we have Bebinca with a modern take. Have you tried a Bebinca yet?
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grounded nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg Celsius. Wash and pat the sweet potatoes dry. With a fork poke holes on the potatoes and place them on the baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Roast the potatoes for 30-35 minutes.
- After it is roasted, peel the skin and puree the flesh.
- Reset the oven to 180 Celsius Grease a 9-inch round pan with butter and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cooled roasted sweet potato puree, eggs, jaggery, maple syrup, butter, nutmeg, and salt until smooth. Add the coconut milk and flour, whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour a ladle of batter into the pan and bake it for 8-10 minutes. Then pour another ladle of batter over the first layer. Repeat until your batter gets used (this gives the layers look). The pudding should be firm at the center with golden brown edges.
- Take it out of the oven and let it completely cool. Wrap the tin with cling wrap and refrigerate it for 6 hours (overnight) to set.