People are likely to get infected in an enclosed space with a lot of people. However, with adequate safety measures one can move around in public transport as well as public spaces.
Being locked at home has certainly become the ‘new normal’. Over past few months we have successfully dealt with isolation and digital socialization. Covid-19 continues to challenge us in every way possible, the fear of the virus does not seem to have an end. As the restrictions are being relaxed and public transport has resumed, we are put in a spot with a new set of challenges. The fear to step out and get in a public transport can be daunting. However, with key safety measures you can safely commute in public transport.
Here are 5 key ways to stay safe while you commute in public transport.
1. Odd hours – Everyday hustle and bustle has resumed, with people on the street and public transport on the move. Make sure that you step out during odd hours. This will ensure few people in public transport and less congested roads. Try to avoid mornings and evenings as people who have resumed work will be commuting. You are safer when there are fewer people. Also, it is essential that you avoid prolong traveling.
2. Physical distance – If you have decided and feel confident about stepping out make sure that you do not come in contact with anybody. Maintain your distance as much as you can. Physical distancing will ensure and suppress virus transmission. You do not want to be a part of community transmission, so keep that distance.
3. Personal hygiene – Now that you are in a public transport keep your sanitizer handy. You may invariably touch surfaces for support, when you do, sanitize your hands immediately. And as soon as you get off the vehicle, wash your hands with soap and water, only then reach for your mask. Remember to keep your eyes, nose and mouth untouched no matter what happens. If your face feels itchy, resist the urge to keep the virus at bay.
4. Keep a spare mask – It would be wise to carry some extra masks in your bag. Chances are you may not even require to change your mask during a commute. However, if in case you touch your face and get paranoid, some hand sanitisation and a fresh mask will prevent you from being anxious.
5. Out and about essentials – The new normal calls for new ways. Your out and about essentials would be – wear a snug face mask, avoid paying by cash use digital payment method as much as you can, keep hand sanitiser handy, wear fitting gloves especially if you have any cuts or open wounds and most importantly maintain physical distance when you are out and about.
The pandemic is not over. The virus is still out there and you need to be careful. As restriction will be more relaxed with time there will be an increase in the number of commuters. Step out only if you need to, if you are unwell stay home.