Certain foods contain agents that can reduce inflammation and ease painful areas
Food habits play a key role in maintaining good health and can reduce the amount of medication for inflammation. Research shows that certain food contains agents that can reduce inflammation and enhance mood. Making small changes in your diet such as eating less red meat or refraining from processed foods can yield effective results.
Here are eight foods to combat pain and help you feel better:
1. Ginger – Ginger is one of the oldest spices with medicinal properties. It contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that makes it so powerful. It reduces nausea, has a soothing effective on stomach and it relieves aching joints caused due to arthritis.
2. Blueberries – Most berries are loaded with minerals, nutrients, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming blueberries can less pain by fighting inflammation due to its phytonutrient property. If blueberries are not in season that you can also benefit from frozen berries to ease the pain.
3. Pumpkin seeds – A powerhouse of magnesium that can help ease migraine. The nutrients present in pumpkin seeds can prevent inflammation caused by osteoporosis and arthritis. The nutrition value of pumpkin seeds improves with time. It also prevents kidney stone formation.
4. Olive oil – Natural oil extracted from olives have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This oil is rich in monounsaturated fat which makes it a healthy option to reduce inflammation. It contains a compound known as oleocanthal that helps ease joint pain. If you are cooking with olive oil it is best to lower the temperature to prevent nutritional loss.
5. Salmon – Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, Vitamin K and B, and many micro – nutrients. Salmon contains calcitonin that reduces inflammation in joints and can ease pain caused by osteoarthritis. However, salmon should be consumed in moderation to reap the benefits.
6. Red grapes – Red Grapes contain anthocyanins and resveratrol – a type of flavonoid with antioxidant effects. This chemical compound has incredible anti-inflammatory properties. Resveratrol is generally found in foods that are purple in colour, and peanuts. Study shows that combining turmeric with resveratrol enhances the ability to combat pain.
7. Soy – Incorporating soy or edamame to your diet can have a significant effect on joint pains. Soy is a power source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids that helps reduce inflammation – it provides sufficient lubrication to the joints that eases the pain. Consuming 40 grams of soy everyday for three months can cut down your pain medication. However, consult your doctor before making this change to your diet as it may not suit everybody.
8. Garlic – Garlic is one of the ancient spices with medicinal properties that help ease many health conditions. The sulphur-containing compound in garlic has anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve pain caused by arthritis and rheumatism. You can combine warm oil with freshly made garlic paste, mix it and apply it to your joints. It helps rid toxins and enhance blood circulation.
While you incorporate foods that help you ease the pain, here are food that you should avoid or eat less.
- Red meat, it is best to consume red meat in moderation.
- Processed meat, best avoided. Avoiding cold cuts, ham, bacon, sausages will help improve your recovery faster.
- White bread, rice, corn cereals and instant oatmeal are not good for your health
- Sugary soda drinks, fruit juices, any beverage with preservatives and artificial flavouring should be avoided.
Making small changes can leave a significant effect on your body. It is better to be a conscious consumer as it will help you live longer and healthier. So eat healthy as much as you can.