While drinking enough water is good for overall health, there are other beverages that will improve and sharpen cognitive health
Ageing comes with a set of challenges and preparing oneself ahead works as a confidence booster in many ways. Challenges such as being forgetful, low attention span, feeling fidgety, processing things slower than usual…can have an effect on your self-confidence and cause more distress to your brain health. However, this can be salvaged with some daily dose of proper nutrients that you can add to your diet right away. Although if you suffer from health conditions it would be advisable that you consult with your healthcare professional before making any changes to your diet.
What you eat, how you eat, and when you eat is crucial when it comes to healthy eating habits. Sometimes you may include all the high-nutrient foods and still feel frustrated because of low energy levels – 8 cups of water in a day can help you fix this issue. But when it comes to your brain health, it needs a little more than water.
Here are drinks that will not only nourish your brain but also get your energy flowing.
1. Coconut water – Water from tender coconut is rich in several nutrients and contains antioxidants that protects cell damage caused by free radicals – free radical is linked with ageing, and has the ability to cause cells, proteins and DNA to deteriorate.
Coconut water is not only good for your brain health but it also provides benefits to people with diabetes, heart conditions and kidney issues.
2. Oolong Tea – Tea is a beverage that helps soothe the mind and the body. Oolong tea is a variety that falls between black and green tea. It has several health benefits and the flavours range from floral, fruity, earthy and more. The flavours often vary from region to region.
Oolong is rich in antioxidants and several other minerals that strengthens the body. Regular consumption of oolong tea can protect one’s brain against neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinsons, as it has the ability to fight against free radical.
3. Turmeric Latte – Haldi aka turmeric, a spice known for its healing properties. It has been used as medicine in Ayurveda since ancient times to treat various kinds of health conditions. It contains the antioxidant curcumin that increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor which improves brain function.
Turmeric latte aka haldi doodh when consumed regularly can prevent health conditions such as Alzheimer’s, heart diseases, arthritis and prevents cell damage.
4. Kombucha – Sweet, fizzy, and a little tangy. Kombucha is made from fermenting tea along with some yeast and sugar. It is not only refreshing but also has several health benefits. It is a probiotic-rich drink that promotes positive mental health. The anti-inflammatory properties of kombucha can help alleviate symptoms of depression.
Other health benefits of kombucha include a healthy heart, strong gut, helps manage diabetes and is good for the liver. However, one thing to be careful about kombucha is – do not try to make it at home. It is advised to consume store bought kombucha since the fermentation is done in a precise manner which may not be possible at home. Fermentation is the key procedure that cannot go wrong when it comes to kombucha.
5. Coffee – Do you kick start your day with coffee? While it is said that one should avoid drinking coffee post afternoon since it can disrupt your sleep, however, it bears many other health benefits that will help your brain stay in shape. The brain health benefits of coffee comes from caffeine and antioxidants that helps improve focus, alertness and memory.
One can have up to 3-4 cups of coffee in a day, that is unsweetened with no milk or cream. Other health benefits of coffee include – a long life, ability to process sugar better, prevention from heart conditions, lowered chances of Parkinson’s disease, decreased risk of Alzheimer’s, a strong liver and stronger DNA.
6. Green juice – The healthiest of them all one would say. A glass of freshly made green juice early in morning is a great way to start your day. It is a combination of fresh greens such as spinach, cucumber, green apples, fresh herbs – lemongrass, basil, parsley, some celery stick and lemon.
Green juice is packed with chlorophyll, the pigment that gives plants their green colour, which helps detoxify and oxygenate the blood and lowers inflammation. Here’s how you can make some fresh green juice at home.
- 3 handful of dark greens of your choice (spinach or kale)
- 2 medium cucumber
- 1 head of celery
- 1-2 handful of herbs (lemongrass, tulsi, basil, parsley, mint – anything of your choice)
- 1 green apple
- 2 lemons deseeded with the rind
- Wash all the ingredients thoroughly and cut them into small pieces.
- In a blender or a juicer first put apples, celery, cucumber, lemon and rest of the leaves.
- Grind it to form some green juice and serve right away.
Green juice should be consumed right away and should not be refrigerated. As most of the nutrient value is lost shortly. Having green juice everyday in the morning will boost your brain health and you will begin to notice the difference in your system.
Taking care of the brain is important with ageing – as seniors are vulnerable to cognitive decline. However, one can prevent this decline by following a healthy diet, regular exercise, quality sleep and by including some refreshing drinks that will improve and strengthen your body and brain.